2009/08/30

Thanks but NO

Recently a neighbor sent out an invitation to join a weekly Bible study group at her house.  The first thought that popped into my head was, only if Margharitas are included.  I will not say this though, instead I will politely decline the invitation.

Religion is something I have struggled with all of my life.   Growing up, we didn't go to Church on a weekly basis,only on Easter, and Christmas.  Maybe that's part of the reason I can't think God without thinking of Santa, and the Easter Bunny.   As I typed that last sentence, I  was looking out the window for a bolt of lightning to strike me as punishment for not believing.  What can I say, I'm conflicted.


Is there some supreme being out there?  I would like to believe, but logic says no.   I can't wrap my mind around it, I mean, how do you, without question, believe in something that you can't see?  It doesn't make sense.  Is it just me?

7 comments:

  1. I, too, am a member of the Show Me Club. I like to believe that I am able to do my best at treating others well and being a good person, not because I fear retribution from some supreme being, but because it's the right thing to do. I get a little tired of people thinking there's something wrong with you if you are not a Christian. *sigh* In the US, that attitude is prevalent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow-there's a club? Where do I join???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trying to pen my comments on this topic. As much as I know.. yet I don't know! God is out there alright, this much I know. I felt him. But yet, where is he when troubles come. Why is there unhappiness, sadness and death.

    Ok sorry to put a damper on this.

    God Bless you all and have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not a bible thumper either. I need a drink too. Maybe a kinky sex/mixed drink idea exchange club would be fun?? However...

    I definitely believe in God. I can feel him watching over me. I pray to him when my friends need guidance and strength.

    If God could pop done to say hi....

    it would be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw a t-shirt online recently that said, "Your Friendly Neighborhood Atheist" on the front. I LOVED THAT SHIRT. Atheists and agnostics are very mistrusted by the general populus, I think - and unfairly so because, as Middle Aged Woman pointed out, not being Christian doesn't make us immoral. What I can't stand more than anything is the pity we get from Christians (you know, the head-shaking, "Oh how sad that you'll be going straight to hell when you die") and the notion that this is all a matter of fact, rather than OPINION.

    Becca told me yesterday that in Sunday school this summer they learned that dinosaurs were all vegetarians, until Adam and Eve sinned in the garden of Eden, so only then was there suffering and only THEN did some dinosaurs become meat-eaters. (They also "learned" that dinosaurs aren't actually 65 million years old...more like 6,000. Just shoot me now.)

    No. I am not kidding. Though I wish I was. I guess whatever's not in the Bible just gets made up. GRRR!

    OK, I'm done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good post :) But logic? In ancient Indian philosophies, logic is a science, and I've studied it. So when you say that it's not logical that there's a God, I'd have to strongly disagree on the basis of logic.

    And as for showing himself to you (and others who've written it), I'd have to ask, why? Seriously...why would he? To someone who doesn't believe in him? Doesn't sound like something I'd do to someone who didn't believe I existed....

    First time but I'll come back...saw you via Holly :)

    ReplyDelete